White-Tipped Caline /'kᾱ,lῑn/

The white-tipped Caline, also known as the royalty wolf, albino tips, or simply Caline, can only be found in Southcentral China. Its scientific classification is as follows:

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Camivora

Family: Felicanidae

Subfamily: Felicaninae

Tribe: Felicanini

Genus: Feliscanis

Species: F. lupusungula

Bionomial name: Canis lupusungula


The first documented spotting of the white-tipped Caline was in the early 1900s. It is believed that the Calines were created through the unlikely pairing of a tiger and a wolf. Although the two animals do not usually associate with the other, that was the only explanation that scientists could come up with until recent times. Unlike mules that are also a combination of two different animals, Calines are able to reproduce. Through DNA testing, it is now known that Calines are 95% related to wolves and other canines while the remaining 5% is similar to that of a feline.

Distinctive Features:

All members of the white-tipped Caline species have white noses and paws. The tips of their ears and tail are white as well. The remainder of their bodies are covered in thick dark gray fur that helps maintain homeostasis in the conditions in which they live in. Another distinctive feature that is unlike other wolves is that the white-tipped Caline have big tiger-like paws that can grow up to 7 inches long by 6 inches wide, hence the name "ungula" which is a Latin translation for claw. Their sharp claws help them tear through the skin and flesh of its prey. Calines generally have amber-brown eyes that also allow them to see at night. They are able to spot prey from 16km distance.


The fatty diet that Calines consume helps maintain their energy and physique. Males tend to weigh between 86kg and 170 kg. Females are usually between 54kg and 90kg. However, the largest recorded Caline was 185kg, found in Hunan, China by some local hunters.


In the wild, Calines feed on pigs, bears, and various types of wild birds. Occasionally, if they are lucky, Calines also feed on tigers. This is usually a result from winning a battle over territory. Different than other wolves and large cats, Calines also love feeding on fish. With its ginormous paws and quick reflexes, they are excellent fishermen. Most become skilled in this sport by the age of four months. In captivity, however, Calines only eat pigs, cows, and fish. The meat is usually killed for them, so they also lose their ability to hunt.


South central China is home to the Calines. The majority of the population live near the Yangtze River. Calines are very territorial, digging holes in the ground to claim what's theirs. Similar to how a human's hand sweats, they secrete a scent from their paws that get left behind in the hole. Their biggest rivals are the tigers who also live in the region.

Grace C.